Orange You Glad You Have Beef & Broccoli?Posted: December 29, 2011
With my recent traveling and all the holiday hoopla, I thought I’d take it easy last night and get myself some Chinese food. But you know what’s better than ordering take-out? Making it yourself.
Orange Beef & Broccoli
– 1/3 cup of low-sodium beef broth
– 3 tablespoons of low-sodium soy sauce
– 3 ½ teaspoons of orange juice
– 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
– 1 large crown of broccoli, cut into pieces & steamed
– ¾ to 1 lb of thinly sliced sirloin steak tips, cut into strips
– 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
– Cooking spray
– Brown rice
In a small bowl, whisk together the beef broth, soy sauce, orange juice and minced garlic. Set aside. In a shallow bowl or plate, lightly dredge the steak in the cornstarch. Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat and then coat it with cooking spray. Add the steak and cook until brown on all sides and no trace of pink, about 6 minutes. Add the broth mixture and cook for 2 minutes until sauce slightly thickens. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the broccoli. Plate and serve with the brown rice.
For a quick way to steam broccoli, put it in a microwave-safe bowl, add a few tablespoons of water, season with salt and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.